For the Fish
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup lemon sparkling water
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillet, cut into 2-inch chunks
- canola oil for deep frying
For the Cole Slaw Dressing
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
For the Slaw
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 3 1/2 pounds), finely shredded by hand
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 medium purple onion, finely sliced by hand
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
For the Fries
- 1 bag frozen shoestring French Fries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- To make the fish, you’ll need three shallow bowls.
- In one shallow bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, baking powder, salt, Creole seasoning, and 1/2 cup flour. Stir in milk and sparkling water until smooth.
- In another small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.
- In the final shallow bowl, add breadcrumbs.
- Heat about 4 cup canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Use a fry thermometer to bring the oil to 375 degrees F.
- To prepare the fish, first toss in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in the batter, shaking off any excess. Finally, cover in panko and place on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Fry the fish in batches, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Return to wire rack to cool slightly and drain.
- To make the cole slaw, for the dressing, whisk together vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, black pepper, and celery seeds in small bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds and whisk again, dissolving the sugar.
- For the slaw, toss together the cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and salt and toss to combine. Let stand five minutes, then transfer to a large colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Transfer vegetables to a salad spinner and spin dry. Alternatively, transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and blot mixture dry with more towels. Return to large bowl.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
- To make the fries, cook the fries in the oven according to the package directions. While the fries bake, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the salt and parsley and remove from heat. Drizzle butter and garlic mixture over the baked fries to your desired butteryness. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 4