For the Strawberry Filling
- 2 1/2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced into quarters
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- pinch of salt
For the Pistachio Topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, roasted and salted shelled pistachios
- To make the filling, in a deep pie dish toss together sliced strawberries, lemon juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt until the strawberries are coated and the cornstarch has disappeared. Set aside.
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the topping, in a medium bowl toss together flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter cubes and, using your fingers, break the butter into the dry ingredients creating some butter cubes that are the size of peas, others the size of oat flakes. Stir in the chopped pistachios.
- Add a handful of of crumble mixture to the strawberries and stir. Add the remaining topping atop the strawberry mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until strawberries are softened and mixture is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes until warm and serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
- Serving Size: 6