- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup lightly packed muscovado brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in an 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Melt until the crackling subsides and the butter begins to brown. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Whisk until thoroughly combined. The mixture may seem broken as the butter won’t completely absorb into the sugar just yet. Allow mixture to stand and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. The mixture will begin to emulsify, be glossy and no longer greasy. Whisk in the vanilla and rum. Add the mashed bananas, fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir carefully until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and spread the batter evenly across the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes until mixture is dry on top, but still slightly soft in the center. I like to slightly under-bake this cake.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you’d like and enjoy warm.