- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 red chiles, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 small handfuls fresh basil leaves (about 10 leaves), divided
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 or so radishes, thinly sliced
- half a cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of fresh sprouts or lettuce greens
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- dash of sriracha sauce
- Warm Jasmine rice and lime wedges (for serving)
- In a medium saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and chili slices and cook, stirring until crisping and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the beef with the back of a spoon as it cooks. As the beef cooks, the fat will begin to cook out of the meat. Drain off a majority of the fat. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook the beef until it begins to crisp, about 8 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and stir any browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the stock cooks off and evaporates. Add about 5 torn basil leaves and stir into the beef. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Slice and dice the fresh vegetables. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and sriracha. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- To assemble, spoon rice into bowls, Top with beef, fresh vegetables, remaining fresh basil leaves, and soy sauce mixture. Enjoy warm with extra fresh lime and hot sauce.
- Serving Size: 4