Caramelized Banana Oatmeal Breakfast
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
For the Oats
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
For the Bananas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- good pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 diagonally sliced bananas
For the Topping
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ground cinnamon
- coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- Start by making the oats. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a simmer. Add the salt and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the oats have absorbed most of the water, about 20 minutes. The oats will the thick and almost milky looking. That’s right! Set aside.
- To make the bananas, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt together butter, brown sugar, salt, and cream. Stir until smooth and just beginning to bubble. Reduce heat to low and add banana slices. Toss to combine and soften, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and honey.
- To assemble the breakfast, divide the oats between two bowls. Top with bananas, dollop with yogurt, sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped pecans. Enjoy warm!