- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- green food coloring
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Clean and dry the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Add egg whites and beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add pinch of salt and cream of tartar. Increase speed to medium high and beat to soft peaks. The egg whites will be white and foamy, with large but tight bubbles.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar, increasing the mixer speed to high. Beat for about 3 minutes on high speed, until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Stir in the peppermint extract and chocolate chunks.
- Egg whites will be spoonable, but keep their shape when dolloped onto a baking sheet.
- On prepared baking sheet, dollop out egg white mixture into two heaping tablespoonfuls. Space about 1-inch apart, although the meringues won’t spread as they bake. Place in the oven and allow to cook for 60 to 70 minutes. Meringues will brown sightly on the top and feel hollow to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Remove from the parchment and serve with coffee or mint tea.
- Meringues will last, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days.