- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in their juice
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken (from 2 cooked chicken breasts or a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- diced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and crushed tortilla chips for serving
- In a large, heavy-bottom soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir until evenly coated and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add all of the beans, along with chicken broth.
- Turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken and fresh cilantro. Remove from heat. Cover and allow the chicken to heat through.
- Serve in bowls with diced avocado, sour cream, cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.
- This recipe also freezes very well!
- Serving Size: 4