Buttered Pecan French Toast with Bourbon Maple Sauce
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 7
- Total Time: 37 minutes
For the Buttered Pecans
- 1 heaping cup pecan halves, very coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the French Toast
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 thick slices brioche bread
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter, for frying
For the Bourbon Maple Syrup
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- dash vanilla extract
- To make the buttered pecans, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pecan pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce oven heat to 200 degrees F.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and salt. Add pecans and stir to toast until butter is lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make French toast, in a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Whisk well, until the egg whites are well incorporated into the mixture.
- In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until just steaming.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the sugar mixture to the heavy cream and stir just until sugar is dissolved. Add the sweetened cream to the egg and milk mixture. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Place a medium non-stick frying pan over heat. Add butter and swirl until melted.
- One at a time, dip brioche slices in egg mixture, allowing to sit and soak for about 15 seconds on each side.
- Place two or three dipped slices in the pan and fry, until golden brown on each side. Add a bit more butter to the pan after you flip the bread, if needed.
- Remove cooked French toast and place on a heatproof plate. Cover lightly with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest in the warm oven while you cook the rest of the toast.
- Continue until all the bread is dipped and fried to golden.
- To make the bourbon maple syrup, in a small saucepan over low heat, gently stir together maple syrup and bourbon until just warmed and well combined.
- To serve, place two slices of French Toast on each plate. Generously sprinkle with buttered pecans, drizzle with warm bourbon maple, and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.