- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups beer (something light like a pilsner or amber)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat butter in a small sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk together to form a paste and cook for a few seconds to develop a nutty aroma.
- Slowly stream in the milk and whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the beer and Worcestershire sauce and whisk until smooth, well incorporated and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mustard and season with salt and pepper and spices. Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir with a wooden spoon until melted and smooth.
- Enjoy warm with any carb you want.
- To reheat the sauce, stir over low heat, adding an extra splash of milk to thin the sauce.
- Serving Size: 6