Peanut Butter, Bacon, and Banana French Toast Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 25 minutes
For the Custard
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf of unsliced brioche bread
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 6 slices crisp cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter + 2 tablespoons canola oil for the pan
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, whole milk, and cream.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Add the sugar mixture to the egg and milk mixture. Whisk well. Add the salt and vanilla and whisk well to evenly combined. Set aside.
- Slice the brioche into six very thick slices. Use a sharp bread knife to slice a pocket into the top of each slice.
- Into each bread pocket spread a good schmear of peanut butter, a few slices of banana, and a slice of crisp bacon that’s been sliced in half.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil and heat.
- Dip each slice of stuffed bread into the prepared custard mixture. Allow to soak for just a few seconds on each side then transfer to the hot skillet. Add three dipped sandwiches to the pan at a time if your pan is large enough. Flip when golden brown, about 3 minutes. Cook until golden on the flip side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack while you add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and cook the remaining three stuffed sandwiches until golden brown on both sides.
- Enjoy warm with a bit of pure maple syrup or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.