Spicy Fried Shrimp Po’Boys
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 180
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
For the Shrimp
- 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp, tails removed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (like Tabasco or Crystal)
- 1 teaspoon creole or whole grain mustard
- canola oil for frying
For the Sandwich
- 1 loaf fresh baked french bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons creole or whole grain mustard
- few turns of fresh cracked black pepper
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced red onions, pickled lightly in vinegar
- sliced roma tomatoes
- Place shrimp in a bowl and remove the tails. Return the bowl to the refrigerator and keep the shrimp chilled until we’re ready to dredge them.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together eggs, hot sauce, and mustard. Set that aside as well.
- Add oil to a medium saucepan so that the oil is about 2-inches deep. I find it helpful to add a fry thermometer to the oil as it heats over medium heat. The oil should be around 350 degrees F for crisp, golden shrimp.
- As the oil heats, begin to dredge the shrimp. Have a parchment lined sheet pan ready for the dredged shrimp and a platter lined with a few paper towels ready for the cooked shrimp.
- Start but adding a few shrimp at a time to the dry mixture. Coat lightly. The shrimp should have enough moisture on them to attract a light coating of the flour mixture.
- Transfer the lightly coated shrimp to the egg mixture and coat all sides.
- Return the shrimp to the flour mixture for a second, slightly thicker coating before placing the coated shrimp on the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all of the shrimp are coated.
- Back to the oil! See that the temperature is in the 350 – 360 degree F range. Depending on the size of you pan add 4 to 6 shrimp to the hot oil. Fry, using a clean set of tongs or a spider to move the shrimp around the oil until all side of the shrimp are a nice golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and place on the paper towel lined platter. Repeat until all the shrimp are fried to golden.
- Slice a large, soft French bread loaf into four equal pieces and slice each piece open in half.
- In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, mustard, and black pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches spread both sides of each piece of bread with the mayonnaise mixture. Add the fresh shrimp – 6 to 8 shrimp is generous.
- Top with iceberg lettuce, pickled red onion, and sliced tomatoes. Close the sandwich and skewer with a pick if necessary. Enjoy immediately with potato chips!