- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas, lightly fried
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pan fried until cooked through
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- chopped fresh cilantro
- ripe avocado
- queso fresco
- lime wedges
- Prep all of the ingredients before assembling the enchiladas. Fry the corn tortillas until crisp and lightly golden on both sides in a bit of vegetable or canola oil. Dab the tortillas on a paper towel and allow to rest.
- Cook the chicken breasts in a skillet over medium heat in vegetable or canola oil until golden on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the skillet and allow to rest for ten minutes until cooled just slightly. Chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Place the enchilada sauce in a wide, shallow bowl. Grate the cheese, chop the scallions and olives. Chop the cilantro, slice the avocado, and slice the limes. Ok you’re good to go!
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 8 or 9-inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Dip four of the fried tortillas in the enchilada sauce and place in the bottom of the baking dish. Top the tortillas with half of the chopped chicken, just left than half of the grated cheese, less than half of the sliced olives and scallions.
- Dip four more tortillas in enchilada sauce and layer onto the chicken et al.
- Top with the remaining chicken, and most of the remaining cheese, olives, and scallions. Save a small handful of the cheese olives and scallions for the top of the dish. Add any remaining enchilada sauce to the top of the dish. Set that aside.
- Dip the four remaining tortillas and add to the dish. Top with the remaining cheese, olives, and scallions.
- Bake until warmed through and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro, avocado, and quest fresco. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges.