Golden Milk Cake
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
For the Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
For the Golden Milk:
- 1 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- few grinds fresh cracked black pepper
For the Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- splash of vanilla extract
- finely chopped toasted walnuts for topping
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square cake pan and lightly dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, eggs, and buttermilk. Whisk in the vanilla or almond extract.
- Add the buttermilk mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and no lumps remain. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, in a small saucepan, stir together all of the ingredients for the golden milk. Stir until just warm, the honey is dissolved and the spices are distributed throughout. Remove from heat.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes. Use a skewer to poke holes into the cake, evenly across the entire top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the golden milk mixture over the cake. Allowing it to absorb all over.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to serve, lightly whip heavy cream, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Spread evenly over the cake. Sprinkle the edges with walnuts, slice, and enjoy! Cake will last well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.