- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12 muffin muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together oil, ground flax seed, water, and vinegar until well combined. Whisk in the apple sauce and vanilla extract.
- Next, whisk in the two sugars. Stir in the shredded vegetables.
- Now it’s time to add the dry ingredients. Add the flour, the baking power and baking soda. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and salt. Whisk the ingredients together. Whisk well! Make sure there are no secret pockets of flour hiding out.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle generously with walnuts.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the muffins are cooked through when tested with a toothpick.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan. To remove from the pan, fun a butterknife along the outside of the muffins and carefully lift out.
- Enjoy warm or allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container at room temperature. muffins will last for up to four days.