- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning or dry barbecue rub (these often include salt)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch, chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes with a vegetable peeler. You can leave some skin bits on the potatoes if you want to go for a more rustic fry. Using a sharp knife, slice a 1/4-inch piece off the potato lengthwise. This will give you a stable base to slice on. Rest the potato, cut side down, and slice potato into 1/4 to 1/2-inch planks. Stack planks in piles 2 to 3 planks high, and slice lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips.
- Place potatoes wedges in a large bowl and top with cool water. Swirl the potatoes around the bowl rinsing off any outside starches. Place a few layers of paper towels on a clean counter. In batches, remove a handful of potato wedges from the water bowl and dab dry on the paper towel. Place on the prepared baking pan. Continue until all of the potatoes are dry.
- Toss the potato strips with olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and grill seasoning or dry barbecue rub. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the potato slices and use tongs or your hands to toss together, making sure that every potato is coated with a bit of cornstarch and seasoning.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer across the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, removing the potatoes from the oven 2 or 3 times during baking to toss them together. Cook until potatoes are cooked through and brought to your desired crispiness. Remove and place onto a platter. Sprinkle with scallions and serve immediately.