- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup roasted tahini
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk (save the egg white for the egg wash)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted salted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus 3 tablespoons more for topping
- remaining egg white and a splash of milk for egg wash (I just used another whole egg for my wash because I ate the egg white with breakfast)
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, tahini, and sugar. Beat until well incorporated and slightly fluffy in texture. About 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the bowl and add egg and egg yolk. Beat on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients, all at once to the tahini mixture and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Stop mixer. Add pistachios and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and remove the bowl from the mixer. Finish incorporating ingredients with a spatula. Dough will be slightly dry. That’s ok.
- Divide the batter into two on the prepared baking sheet and shape dough into two logs about 8-inches long and 1 1/2-inches wide. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle generously with remaining sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for another 15 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking pans until cool enough to handle, but still soft. Use a serrated knife to slice biscotti about 1-inch thick. Place cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, flipping once during baking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Biscotti will still be slightly soft.
- Biscotti will last, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 10 days.