The quickest way to King Cake.
For the Cake Batter:
- unsalted butter to grease the pan
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons RapidRise or Instant Yeast
- 2/3 cup very warm milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the Cinnamon Mixture:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- purple, yellow, and green sprinkles and a plastic baby
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with butter.
- Add the dry ingredients including the yeast to the cake pan and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk, melted butter, oil, and beaten egg. Whisk to combine and use a spatula to coax any flour from the corners of the pan.
- Allow to batter to rest in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. While the cake rests, make the cinnamon topping.
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and salt until the mixture is moistened and sandy.
- Top batter evenly with cinnamon mixture. Use a butter knife to swirl the cinnamon sugar into the batter. Allow to rest for 5 more minutes.
- To bake the cake, place pan in a COLD oven; set temperature to 350°F; bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and firm in center. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes. Combine icing ingredients in the same bowl used to make the cinnamon mixture and drizzle over the just warm cake.
- Sprinkle generously with Mardi Gras colors and tuck a little baby inside. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Fleischmann’s Bread World.
To adapt this recipe using active dry yeast instead of instant or rapidrise – bloom the yeast in 2 tablespoons of water for 5 minutes before adding to the batter along with the wet ingredients.
Increase the first rest to 30 – 35 minutes. Increase the second rest to 15 minutes. Bake as instructed.
- Serving Size: 8