Hello sweet friends!
Can you believe? Can you believe we’re settling into another year and another decade? Feels good. Feels very much like a privilege.
I’ve been taking it slow and steady through this holiday season. Taking time to be reflective. Taking time to have important conversations that I might have let fall to the wayside. Trying to be generous and gentle with myself. I have a lot of goals for the coming years. Some goals are super self-driven and others require a long string of yeses from people I don’t even know yet. Making your own dreams come true is a balance of hard work and hope… and fun? And fun.
I hope you’re feeling hopeful this year. Hopeful and hungry for good food and new experiences. Me too me too. Let’s stay with it.
Tomorrow is my grandmother’s 90th birthday. Isn’t that wonderful? I’m going to LA for a few quick days to celebrate with the family.
The offering this week is below. As always, take only what you need. Take it easy this Sunday! I’m really so thankful you’re here.
• Amen amen: Pick a resolution you can complete in one day. Keep it fun. Keep it fast. (ManRepeller)
• It feels like a world away but we just have the one world so: Australia Deploys Military as Fire Spreads. (The New York Times)
• I ask a variation of the same question nearly every week – are we ok? The Age of Instagram Face (The New Yorker)
• Everyone’s New Years costume homage to the roaring 20’s has me thinking about the Harlem Renaissance: Where Our Radical Black Foremothers Made A Room Of Their Own (Refinery29)
• I won’t knock it till I’ve tried it. The Couples Who Sleep ‘Together’ Over Videochat (The Atlantic)
• How I Get It Done: StitchFix CEO Katrina Lake. I googled her. She’s our age. (Lol I imagine we’re all the same age, ok?) (The Cut)
• This is a good month to take some time with tradition and ritual, even it it’s a new one. Of course mine is food related – I’m making my friend Jocelyn’s Collard Greens. (Grandbaby Cakes)
• The roasted chicken I made this weekend: Potato-Bottom Cast Iron Roasted Chicken. Of course it was good. (Bon Appetit)
• Jon made Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs which is really such a good idea. (The Candid Appetit)
• I’m late to listening but finally committed to the To Live And Die In LA podcast. Wow y’all. What a tragic journey. (LiveDieLA)
• A new account on Instagram I’m happy to follow: @werenotreallystrangers.
• If we’re talking about things I want but don’t need, let us discuss these lovely perfect and simple dinner plates. (Crate&Barrel)
• We’re layering our sun protection this decade mmmkay? I love this powder mineral sunscreen from Tarte. (Sephora)
Have a wonderful Sunday and Happy New Year.
My love to you.