Twelve Frosted Cupcakes, One Stick of Butter
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- a scant 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and use electric hand beaters on medium-low speed to combine the mixture to sandy. There still may be a few small bits of butter, that’s ok!
- Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, vanilla and remaining milk together and pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated. Scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side or the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Continue mixing on high speed until the batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into paper lined muffin tins, dividing between the 12 cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the pan, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and butter. Using electric hand beaters, on low, start to incorporate the two. Combine the milk and the vanilla extract and slowly stream it into the butter and sugar mixture. Once incorporated, turn the mixer to high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes. If you find that your frosting is getting to warm in the summer months, stop beating and set in the fridge for a few minutes. Once chilled, hook the frosting back up the the mixer and beat once more until you reach the desired consistency.
- Whip in desired food coloring.
- Use an offset spatula or butterknife to spread frosting on each cupcake. Top generously with sprinkles and enjoy! Cupcakes will last covered at cool room temperature for 3 days.