One-Pot Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes or so
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup strawberry milk powder or powdered dehydrates strawberries
- To make the cake, bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the butter to the water and stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract; stir until well combined.
- Add the flour, sugar, soda, and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray a 9×13-inch sheet pan (a quarter-sheet pan) with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, lightly whip the cream and sugar to soft peaks. Divide the cream into three bowls and mix each whipped topping with a separate flavor : vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and strawberry. Spread generously in thirds across the cooled cake.