It’s another fine Sunday and I hope it finds you well, healthy, and with coffee.
How’s your family text thread? Mine is filled with daily updates of everyone’s gardens, the frequent mention of cakes we miss eating together, pictures of our animals, and the occasional guilt-trip offshoot text which, as you might imagine, are my least favorite. So. Ya know. We’re all just in it and doing our best.
Accomplishments this week include and are strictly limited too, stress-baking funnel cake, stress-vacuuming, and stress-making myself a really nice gin and tonic. And yet… I’m ok, you’re ok.
The offering this week is below. Take what you need and only that:
• Here’s what we’ve been through: April was Death, April was Hope, April was Cruel. (The Washington Post)
• Would you rather go into the deep deep ocean or into outer space? Both are such a mystery but like… shoot me into the stars. Thirty-Six Thousand Feet Into The Sea: the explorers who set one of the last meaningful records on earth. (The New Yorker)
• Mmkay mmkay – so what I’m hearing is, we should have been buckled up: This Is The Most F*ed Up Astrological Week of the Year. (The Cut)
• Catch me on the latest episode of Ladyland. (Ladyland Podcast)
• This is the most thoughtful piece written on the Alison Roman drama: Alison Roman, the Colonization of Spices, and the Exhausting Prevalence of Ethnic Erasure in Popular Food Culture. (Pajiba)
• Correct. The Answer Is Tots. (Eater)
• On a whim this week I made Small Batch Baked Funnel Cake out of pate a choux dough and I have to say – what a stroke of genius. Please don’t sleep on this! (Joy the Baker)
• The best gift a man has given me: Justin Wilson’s Homegrown Louisiana Cookin’. It’s a treasure. (Biblio)
• Adriana makes the best strawberry cakes. She’s the queen. Mini Strawberry Sheet Cake. (A Cozy Kitchen)
• I don’t really need like, mass celebrity collaborations but Dave Grohl can give us anything and everything: Times Like These. And while we’re brushing against the Foo Fighters, let it be known that Taylor Hawkins if the best (and most humble) rock drummer we have. (YouTube)
• Hands down, the best sunscreen I’ve used on my face in a long time: Versed Guards Up. It protects against everything and goes on not too shiny, not too matte. (Versed)
Have the most lovely day!