- For the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (Skippy kind, not natural)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 3/4 cup roasted salted chopped peanuts
- For the Cobbler:
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced into bite-size chunks (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca*
- To make the cookies dough in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a medium bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream together peanut butter, butter, and sugars until well combined, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- Spoon dough onto a large sheet of waxed paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate while you combine the strawberry mixture.
- To make the strawberry filling, first place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl toss together the sliced strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes until some juices develop in the bottom of the bowl. Toss in the melted butter and the instant tapioca. Stir to combine. The tapioca will look coarse within the mixture. It will dissolve in the oven.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture into a baking dish. Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, until the strawberries begin to breakdown and release their juices. Remove from the oven and stir.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and scoop cookies into three tablespoon mounds. Roll in chopped peanuts and use a for to make a # pattern.
- Place cookies atop the cooked strawberries. Place in the oven and allow to bake until cookies are lightly puffed and cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Best enjoyed with ice cream.
* You can substitute cornstarch for Instant Tapioca though your filling will be more juicy! That’s alright – still delicious!