A savory summer galette with tomatoes or whatever summer veggies you have on hand!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water, plus a few splashes more if needed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ lb. heirloom tomatoes, sliced ¼” thick (or really whatever tomatoes you have on hand)
- half a red onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or a small head of roasted garlic
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- a few tablespoons of fresh herbs like parsley and oregano
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water for egg wash
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the pie crust, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers (or a potato masher), work the butter into the flour mixture. Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture, some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes, some will be the size of peas. Create a well in the mixture and pour in the 1/4 cup cold water and vinegar. Use a fork to bring to dough together. Try to moisten all of the flour bits. Add a bit more water if necessary, but you want to mixture to be shaggy and not overly wet and sticky.
- On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough mixture. It will be moist and shaggy. That’s perfect. Gently knead into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator will help rechill the butter and distribute the moisture.
- To roll out the pie crust, on a well floured surface, roll the crust a little under 1/4 inch thick and about 12 to 13 inches in diameter. Trim the shaggy edges to a smooth round circle. Transfer it to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gently toss tomatoes, raw garlic (if using), and sliced onions in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a bit of salt. Let sit 5-15 minutes (tomatoes will start releasing some liquid). Drain tomato mixture and transfer to paper towels.
- To assemble, brush the pie crust with egg wash. Sprinkle with most of the goat cheese, all of the garlic, a good sprinkle of fresh herbs, and arrange tomato slices and onion slices atop the crust. Sprinkle with a bit more goat cheese and fold the crust up around the tomatoes.
- Brush with egg wash. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and refrigerate the galette while the oven heats. Bake for. 40-50 minutes until golden and bubbling, rotating once during baking. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for just a few minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve warm.