Crisp savory pumpkin waffles with gruyere and pancetta topped with sautéed kale and soft boiled eggs. Really lovely for weekend brunch but also wonderful for a breakfast-for-dinner moment.
- For the Waffle:
- 1 1/2 cup (191 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup finely grated gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces pancetta, cooked to crisp
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- For the Greens:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 heaping cups torn lacinato kale leaves
- squeeze of a lemon wedge
- sea salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- To Top:
- Soft boiled eggs
- Roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Set your waffle All-Clad 4-Slice Gourmet Digital Waffle Maker on a level, clean surface and turn on to preheat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, pumpkin puree, eggs, and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients, all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Stir in the cheese and pancetta. Try not to over-mix the batter. If a few lumps remain in the batter, that’s ok.
- Cook according to the waffle maker instructions.
- While the waffles cook, in a small bowl stir together maple syrup and mustard. Set aside.
- In a medium saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the kale and toss until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and squeeze with lemon juice.
- To serve, place a waffle on a plate. Drizzle with prepared sauce. Top with a heap of greens, half of a soft boiled egg and a sprinkle of toasted seeds. Enjoy warm with coffee or sparkling wine.