A tart and fresh creamy lemon bar with fresh raspberries and a gluten-free almond cookie crust and crumble.
For the Crust and Topping:
- 3 cups (290 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (28 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 113 grams) unsalted butter, cold and diced
- A tiny splash of almond extract
For the Filling:
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (18 grams) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×9-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper so the flaps hang over two sides (making the bars easier to remove) and lightly grease the parchment.
- Firsts make the crust. In a medium bowl whisk together almond flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the cold butter pieces and a tiny splash of almond extract if you’re using it. Use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and the butter bits are about the size of oat flakes.
- Reserve about 1 cup of the crusts mixture in a small bowl to the side and press the majority of the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Use your fingers to press into as even a layer as possible. Bake for 10 minutes until just barely golden brown around the edges.
- While the crust bakes, whisk together the filling. In a medium bowl combine sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingers to work the zest into the sugar until fragrant. Whisk in the the cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the eggs until thick and thoroughly combined. Whisk in the lemon and vanilla.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust (it’s ok if it’s still warm) and top with raspberries and reserved crumble topping. Bake for 18-22 minutes until baked through, they no longer jiggle and the mixture is just golden. Cool to room temperature or close to it. Allow to chill before slicing (I do this for about an hour in the fridge). Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
- Store bars wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days.