An easy one-skillet weeknight meal. The easiest way to lasagna with sausage, kale and artichoke hearts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 packed cups fresh kale leaves (I like lacitano kale)
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine, (optional – chicken stock or water is also great)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 10 uncooked (a 9-ounce box) lasagna noodles
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat an ovenproof 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and sausage. Break up the sausage as it browns. Brown until deeply golden and crispy. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the kale leaves and artichoke hearts and stir around the pan until the spinach wilts.
- Add tomato paste, dried herbs, salt, and red pepper flakes and stir for 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with red wine (or stock or water).
- Add canned tomatoes and all of their juices. Stir in sugar. Add water. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Break up lasagna noodles into the mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer until noodles are al dente, about 12 minutes. Remove lid and stir occasionally to ensure noodles don’t stick together. Add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Once the noodles are al dente, remove the lid and stir in the mozzarella cheese. Dollop seasoned ricotta over the top of the lasagna. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 6 minute. Remove from the oven and enjoy warm. Store leftover in the refrigerator for up tot 4 days.
Keywords: lasagna, skillet lasagna, kale, artichoke hearts, sausage, one-skillet, one-pan, weeknight dinner,