A simple chocolate loaf cake fortified with Guinness beer and slathered with rich cream cheese frosting.
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick 113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (about 100 ml) Guinness beer
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 4 ounces (half a brick) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Splash of Irish cream, optional
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Remove from heat and whisk in beer followed by cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs followed by sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the chocolate stout mixture and stir until just combined and no lumps remain. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and not wet batter.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, use electric hand beaters to beat cream cheese around a medium bowl to soften completely. Add the butter and beat to combine. Add the vanilla extract, and salt. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat to a thick but spreadable consistency, adding more powdered sugar if necessary. Add a splash of Irish cream if you’d like and a touch more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Smooth frosting on the cooled cake while still in the pan, using the pan to help you shape the frosting. Cool the cake and frosting for 2 hours to help the frosting set. Slice and enjoy!
- Keep leftover cake well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.