- 3 cups (381 grams) bread flour
- 1 cup (108 grams) medium rye flour
- ¼ cup (20 grams) nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 ½ cups (340 grams) lukewarm water*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning, plus more for topping
- *For an extra flavorful loaf, substitute 1 cup of dill pickle juice for 1 cup of lukewarm water. Microwave for 20 seconds to bring to lukewarm temperature.
- In a large bowl whisk together bread flour, rye flour, milk powder, salt, and instant yeast. Add the water and olive oil. Use a wooden spoon or stiff plastic spatula to mix the dough together. Stir in the everything seasoning until thoroughly combined. The dough will be very sticky – that’s right! Mix for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 8-12 hours.
- To bake the bread, use a plastic bench scraper to gently turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Lightly flour the top of the dough and knead and fold the dough over itself for 12-16 turns, into a bouncy, firm, slightly tacky dough ball.
- To top the loaf with everything seasoning, sprinkle a clean flour sack towel with everything bagel seasoning and place the dough round, top side into the seasoning on the towel to pick up the seasoning. Remove from the towel and place top side down on the lightly floured counter.
- Shake out the flour sack towel and generously sprinkle flour over the towel. Shake off excess and place the towel into a small bowl (a six cup Pyrex bowl is the perfect size) to line. Lightly sprinkle the towel with more flour. Place the dough ball in the bowl, seam side up, seasoning side down. Cover gently with the edges of the towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before baking, place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. The dough will be puffed and risen and have almost doubled in size. Place the the base of the Le Creuset Bread Oven upside down over the bowl and gently invert the bread into the pan. Gently lift the bowl and towel. Dust off any large patchces of flour, if any. Slash a few lines into the dough using a lame or sharp knife. Gently cover dough with the domed lid. Place Bread Oven in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the dome lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes to a deep golden brown.
- Remove bread from the oven and transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool for 1 hour before cutting into. Bread, well wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days.