A simple single layer cake made with lemon zest, fresh blueberry sauce, and gooey cream cheese topping.
For the Blueberry Topping:
- Heaping 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 large egg
For the Lemon Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup (165 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform panned set aside.
- First make the blueberry topping. In a small saucepan stir together blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, water and pinch of salt. Stir over medium-low heat until some of the blueberries begin to burst, the mixture simmers and thickens – 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl and allow to rest in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, use electric hand beaters to beat cream cheese around the bowl to soften even more. Add powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. Beat in the egg. Allow to rest in the refrigerator while you make the cake batter.
- To make the lemon cake, in a medium bowl using electric hand beaters, combine melted butter, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the flour, powder, and salt and beat on low speed to combine into a thick and smooth batter.
- Smooth the cake batter in an even layer across the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake batter. It should be thin enough to spread across the cake but does not necessarily need to meet the sides of the pan. Spoon the blueberry mixture over the cream cheese layer in dollops and use a butterknife to just barely swirl the cake batter, cream cheese, and blueberry. Four to six swipes of the butterknife should do it.
- Bake cake for 35 to 40 minutes until the edges are deep golden and the middle seems set with a little jiggle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy the cake cold or leave room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
- To serve, run a knife along the edges of the cake to release the springform pan. Dust with powdered sugar, slice and enjoy!