A fancypants way to spruce up boxed brownies!
- 1 box of brownie mix (for an 8x8 or 9×9-inch square pan), prepared according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla or banana pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Flakey sea salt for serving, optional
- Prepare brownies according the package instructions. I recommend baking them in a square metal pan lined with parchment paper that overhangs the side of the pan so the frosted brownies are easy to remove from the pan and slice. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan when they come out of the oven.
- To make the peanut butter frosting, in a medium bowl using a electric hand beaters, beat together butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk and pudding and beat to combine. The mixture should be thick but spreadable. Spread in an even layer across the cooled brownie.
- To make the ganache, place chocolate chips and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan or in the microwave until steamy and juuust before it boils. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate pieces and allow to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Whisks until smooth and glossy. While still warm pour over peanut butter frosting and quickly spread with an offset spatula until it reaches every edge and corner.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for about 2 hours until set before slicing. You could also cool these briefly in the refrigerator before serving though that will dull the chocolate ganache a bit.
- For extra credit, sprinkle lightly with flakey sea salt before serving.