A classic, tender angel food cake topped with soft raspberry whipped cream.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup (120 grams) cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups (366 grams) granulated sugar (not organic – a finer grain granulated sugar is best. Pro-tip: Whirl sugar in a food processor to make it more fine)
- 1 3/4 cups (about 400 grams) large egg whites (from 12 or 13 eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cups fresh raspberries
- To make the cake, place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Sift cake flour with 2/3 cup of sugar onto a piece of waxed or parchment paper – 3 times.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until frothy. Add the salt and cream of tartar and beat until the egg whites hold soft peaks. Beat in the remaining 1 cup of sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until the egg whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks. Lastly, beat in the vanilla.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the flour and sugar mixture in four parts. Use a rubber spatula and be careful not to deflate the egg whites too much.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased tube (angel food cake) pan and smooth the top. Rap pan on the counter to burst any air bubbles. Bake until cake is golden and springy on top. A skewer inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean – about 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.
- If the tube pan has feet, cool the cake inverted on the counter. If the cake pan doesn’t have feet, invert the cake pan over the top of a long-neck bottle to cool for 2 hours.
- To make the cream, whip together cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla into soft but firm peaks. Enough so that the cream holds its shape, but not so much that it becomes overly aerated. Barely smash the raspberries in a small bowl. Loosely fold the smashed berries into the whipped cream, leaving large streaks of berries.
- Just before serving, generously spoon and spread around the cake to coat or pipe onto the top of the cake in swirls.
Keywords: angel food cake, birthday cake, raspberry, fruit,