- 2 sandwich rolls
- Pepper jelly
- Sliced oven roasted chicken or turkey
- Smoked gouda
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Candied jalapeños
- Pickled banana peppers
- Parchment or waxed paper to wrap the sandwich
- A few rubber bands
- Slice sandwich rolls in half horizontally, leaving the seam across the back of the roll intact if possible. Pull out some of the center of the rolls, making more room for filling but keeping the crust intact.
- Spread pepper jelly on one side of each sandwich and mayo on the other side of each sandwich. Layer meat on one side of each roll and cheese on the other side of each roll. Be generous – add more than you think!
- Pile candied jalapeños and banana peppers on top of the meat and chopped romaine on top of the cheese. Again – be generous!
- Smash each sandwich roll together and roll tightly in parchment or waxed paper. I secure mine with rubber bands to keep everything right and tight. Refrigerate until you’re ready to pack the car snack cooler. Enjoy chilled, in the car, on the road.
Keywords: sandwich, turkey, pepper jelly, camp cooking, road trip snacks, lunch