For the Biscuits:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, plus 2 tablespoons melted to brush the biscuits, plus 2 tablespoons melted to brush the biscuits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
For the Strawberries:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, fulled and sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
- A tiny splash of balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons or so
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream whipped with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and whipped to stiff peaks.
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using your fingers, quickly work the butter into the dry ingredients until some bits of butter are the size of oat flakes, some the size of small peas. Chunks of cold butter is what we want in our dough.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine egg and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture all at once. Stir into a shaggy mixture. The dough will be moist, but not overly wet.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and use a floured rolling pin to gently roll the dough into a into a 1-inch thick oval. At the short end of the dough closest to you, fold the dough over until the edge of the dough meets the center of the dough. Fold the top edge of the dough towards the center over the first fold. Gently roll the dough into a 1-inch oval and repeat the folding process again.
- After the second fold, again roll the dough out to a 1-inch thickness and use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Press any dough scraps together to make a few more biscuits out of the remaining dough.
- Place 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top. While the biscuits bake, combine the strawberry mixture. In a medium bowl gently toss together sliced strawberries, sugar, salt and vinegar. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- To serve, split biscuits with a butter knife, spoon with strawberries and juice and top with whipped cream. Enjoy ’em!