I’m forever preachingg candy corn and salted peanuts are the ultimate halloween candy combo so… let’s put ’em on rice krispie treats!
- Nonstick cooking spray and a few tablespoons of softened butter for the pan
- 6 heaping cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (10-ounce) bag large marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag candy corn (I use about a cup but you can use as much as you’d like!)
- 2 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the side on two sides. Butter the bottom of the paper. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until just browned. Butter will melt, foam and begin to spit as the water cooks out of the butter. Whisk browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Just as the butter begins to brown add the sweetened condensed milk and stir around the pan until it just begins to bubble. Add the large marshmallows and salt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour into the cereal bowl.
- Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and press to fill all sides of the pan with a spatula. While the mixture is still warm and pliable, press a generous amount of peanuts and candy corn into the top of the treats. I prefer more peanuts piled on than candy corn but go nuts!
- Allow the treats to set and cool at room temperature before slicing. I give the treats a few hours.
- Slice into squares and serve or wrap individually and store at room temperature.
Keywords: halloween, rice krispie treats, candy corn, peanuts,