Our Summer Reading List
I bought a Kindle Reader. I did. I turned in my iPad and treated myself to a reader. Why? Because no one should carry Infinite Jest any farther than one’s reading nook. It’s pretentious, not to mention you’ll likely injure your back.
See.. Ip;Because no one should carry Infinite Jest any farther than one’s reading nook. It’s pretentious, not to mention you’ll likely injure your back.
Infinite Jest is currently my ‘foundation book’. I read a ‘foundation book’ and then keep a lighter alternate book. I usually call my alternate book my ‘side boo’ which is… well, true.
It’s summer and it’s time to find some new reads! Last Winter we dove into sad end of the pool with Break Your Heart Winter Reading which seemed perfect for the chilly days. Nowadays, the shorter my dress the lighter my book needs to be. I mean… let’s just live a little.
I asked you on Twitter what you’re reading this summer, and your reading list is inspired and enviable. I took it upon myself to share your genius and claim part of it as my own. Here’s what we’re reading this summer!!
• The Vacationers by Emma Straub • I always love a story that winds through the life of a family.
• The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta • You know, before the HBO show comes out!
• To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris • Let’s try to figure out the meaning of life, and maybe laugh about it along the way.
• One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by BJ Novak • Tell me more, dude from The Office. Tell me more.
• The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick • I love it for the title alone. I love it because it’s by the same author as The Silver Linings Playbook which I didn’t actually read, but I saw the movie and the dance competition scene made me spontaneously fist-pump. Right? Let’s read this!
• Everything Is Perfect When You’re A Liar by Kelly Oxford • Is this a book about Pinterest? Might could be.
• Jason Priestley: a memoir by Jason Priestley • Hold uuupppp. Brandon Walsh wrote a book? Does he talk about Kelly? Does he talk about Andrea? Peach Pit!? Game over. I’m all the way in.
• Think Like A Freak by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner • Clearly, judging by my fascination with Jason Priestly, I’m already thinking like a freak. This book is more about unconventional analysis than weird 90’s fascinations.
• The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd • My mom and Oprah told me to read this book. This needs to happen.
• Euphoria by Lily King • A love triangle in the jungle. Duh.
• The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt • It’s only won the Pulitzer Prize. What are we waiting for!?
• It Chooses You by Miranda July • Girl crush status forever and always on Miranda July. This book is based on the stories behind the Penny Saver, a Los Angeles classified rag. Bound to be exactly right.
Sooo… don’t be coy! What are you reading this summer?