Let It Be Sunday
I made this chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream, chopped toffee, and sea salt…. and then I shrugged my shoulders. It wasn’t very good…. a personal shame that I’m willing to share with you. I actually think that making a bad chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream is a crime in some states.
I should have just eaten the toffee and skipped the cake. I did, of course, eat all of the toffee off the top of this cake before placing it in the refrigerator to forget about until late next week. I’m sorry. I’m a work in progress.
I hope this finds you enjoying an extra mellow Sunday morning with perhaps more coffee than usual. I curated some of the Internet for you. It goes a little something like this:
• Was this August really the worst month ever? Social media studies can give us the answer. The answer: kinda yeah.
• This week I listened to a Fresh Air Podcast from earlier this summer: Kidnapping Is a Lucrative Business for Al-Qaida, Documents Show with host Terry Gross and journalist Rukmini Callimachi. It’s a testament to how important and how dangerous foreign reporting can be. Really interesting.
• Have Twitter and YouTube become the editors of the information we receive? The New Editors of the Internet.
• The Emmys were last week which means red carpet madness, juice cleanses, designer dresses, jewels for days and… what on earth is a mani-cam? Why we should ask women about more than their dang dresses! What are we even doing…. for real.
• Louisiana… we’re Losing Ground and that’s a fact.
• Southern cuisine has its nuance and you best get it right. I’m learning day by day. The Real Reason Sugar Has No Place In Cornbread
• What would James Bond drink in New Orleans, from writer Sarah Baird and bartender Abigail Gullo.
• I’m starting the book & Sons next week. I’ve read as much as I could in the Amazon preview and I want more. Classy, right?
• From Grad School to Jail. Too real? Too real.
• On a scale of 1 to totally weird, where are we on this Crystal Skull Shotglass ?
• These Super Power Vegan Collard Wraps looks healthful and super delicious! I definitely want to make my own version. They’re the opposite of doughnuts and I love it.
• Favorite recent podcast discovery: Slate’s The Gist. Informative and funny smart-talk.
Get all up in this day!