Sticky Finger Maple Bacon Grilled Cheese
There’s something very deep and satisfying about two sticky fingers at snack time. These are lessons we learn from (flamin hot) Cheetos, (cool ranch) Doritos, and (very spicy) Chicken Wings. Sticky fingers are dedicated for snack-to-mouth interactions, followed by licking. It’s the only way.
This sandwich, unapologetically sticky and salty on the outside, is in the sticky finger solar system.
This recipe is inspired by the Knife and Fork Grilled Cheese Sandwich I flipped by in the latest pages of Food & Wine Magazine. Where they see a knife and fork, I see sticky fingers. I’ve swapped their cheese, swapped their sticky-factor (from honey to maple syrup), and added bacon… of course I did.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• A nice loaf of bread. Unsliced so you can slice it as aggressively thick as you’d like.
• A wheel o’ Brie Cheese, sliced thin- rind and all.
• Softened butter, for spreading. Black pepper, for sprinkling.
• Very crisp cooked bacon. All the wobbly fat cooked to crisp.
• Pure maple syrup and smoked (or regular) sea salt.
You know how to grill cheese. It’s all about layers and making it stick.
Buttered bread. Thinly sliced Brie cheese topped with crisp bacon and, yes…. more Brie cheese. Black pepper to top and another slice of buttered bread.
Grilled over medium heat until the cheese is melty and the bread is buttered golden brown.
When the sandwich comes hot of the griddle, cheese melted and bread crisped, the entire sandwich is drizzled lightly in maple syrup and sprinkled with smoked sea salt.
The maple syrup with absorb into the bread just so, keeping the sweet flavor up top and our fingers just slightly sticky.
Sweet and salty, creamy and crisp. It’s the grilled cheese with everything going for it. Everything.
- 4 sliced whole grain bread, thick sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 sliced crisp cooked bacon
- 12 thin slices of brie cheese (I usually buy a whole wheel of Brie and use about 1/3 for the two sandwiches)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- smoked (or regular coarse) sea salt
- Place a griddle pan over medium heat.
- Spread one side of each of the four slices of bread with butter.
- Flip butter side down on a cutting board. On two slices of bread, place three thin Brie wedges. Top with two slices of bacon each. Top with three more slices of Brie each. Sprinkle generously with black pepper.
- Top with remaining two slices of bread.
- Grill on the griddle pan until the brie is melted and the bread is golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan and drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with salt. Slice in half and enjoy warm.