6 Of My Favorite Summer Salads
These are the days when I start to feel a little sluggish in the kitchen. I’m either eating plain pasta with a very ambitious amount of butter and parmesan or I’m making salads that range from simple to somewhat choppy.
I feel like we’ll be making stews and risotto and pumpkin bread in no time but until then, we’re on the salad train. We’ve got fruit and nuts, eggs and seeds and lots of citrus. Here are some of my favorite ways to be lofty and green in the kitchen this time of year:
• I have a pattern when it comes to Summer salads, add fruit to greens especially if that fruit is watermelon. Snap Pea, Watermelon, and Edamame Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette is fresh, juicy, and crisp with a pop of protein from edamame. If you feel compelled to add feta cheese, well… you’re a friend of mine. That’s for sure.
• A lot of times I try to turn my tuna salad into regular salads and this is what that looks like: Tuna Kale and Egg Salad. Coarsely chopped capers win the Most Important Ingredient Award.
• So, the truth is… not all salads are leafy green salads because some salads are sent down from heaven and made with pasta and meat and cheese but still called salad: Muffuletta Pasta Salad. Praise hands up!
• Onions and peaches. Parsley and grapes. It works it all works thanks to bulgar wheat and lots of lemon! Peach and Grape Tabbouleh Salad
• Leave it to our dearest Jacques Pépin to take eggs from good to beyond great by pan-frying deviled eggs in butter. And still somehow we’re calling this salad because we place these perfect egg gems on a few fine lettuce leaves: Pan-Crisped Deviled Egg Salad.
• Salty and sweet / crunchy and light. This is a fine salad, feminine and filling and hearty enough to have a good life in the refrigerator. It’s Strawberry Salad with Cucumber and Feta!
I think you’re lovely. I hope you’re well and well-hydrated and I’ll be back atcha with brownies very soon!