Order Envy, one of great perils of eating out. Did I order the right thing or is my friend’s Chicken Piccata going to come out of the kitchen and be like diamonds on a plate compared to my lump of halibut and peas?
There’s are a few solid tricks I’ve acquired over the years to steer clear of Order Envy. Horse-blinders help prevent gawking at other plates around the table. Staying home and making lentils and grits (totally what I did tonight) prevents Order Envy because there is there is no order, there are only lentils. Lastly, the best way to avoid Order Envy is to just to order the Wedge Salad. It’s always the right move because there’s bacon and cheese… the vegetables are nice too. It’s balance and indulgence on a plate, and you win… if there is winning to be had.
Here’s what we’ll need!
A big head of iceburg lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, tiny red onion cubes, crisp cooked bacon chopped up happily, and blue cheese to make homemade dressing!
Yogurt, buttermilk, and mayonnaise for the dressing. It’s a lovely base place.
I added a diced red onion, garlic powder, loads of black pepper, and a pinch of sugar to my blue cheese dressing. Balance with sweet, tart, and sour.
And really giant chunks of blue cheese because that’s the whole point of this.
Chopping to assembly.
Iceberg is cut into large wedges. Crisp and cold before topping.
Creamy blue cheese dressing, crisp vegetable bites, salty bacon, rip avocado…. I mean COME ON! There’s just to way to have order envy when this combination of bliss is placed before you.
This is the summer staple. See you on the other side.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- pinch of granulated sugar
- pinch of garlic powder
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus more for topping the salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, baked to crisp, cooled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 an English cucumber, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons sliced cornichon pickles
- extra blue cheese crumbles
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- First make the salad dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream, mayonnaise, onion, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined, then add the blue cheese and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. Place in the refrigerator to chill until ready to top the salad.
- To assemble the salad the salad, cut the bottom core off the lettuce head and slice t into quarters. Feel free to cut the quarters into smaller wedges if you'd like.
- Top with dressing, bacon pieces, tomato, cucumber, avocado, onion, pickles, extra blue cheese, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately, although you can cover and store these dressed salad wedges overnight.