Welcome! Here we are, all up in another Monday. Before we get bogged down by the possibly overwhelming details of the day, here are a few tips to get us through the day and set us up for the week. It’s like we’re holding hands through this one… but it’s not awkward or creepy…. it’s cool.
• Don’t skip breakfast. Hangry 10am email responses are not a good look. This Toasted Oat and Coconut Muesli is easy to make, super healthful, and a great weekday morning hangry fighter.
• Look good / Feel good! I try to reach into the back of my closet on a Monday morning. I reach for a dress that may have fallen out of my regular rotation but used to be a look good / feel good staple. I try to take a few extra minutes to make myself feel pretty for the day…. maybe that means a bit of eyeliner, a cute dress, a spritz of perfume, or… simply not forgetting my deodorant. Feeling confident walking into a Monday goes a long way!
• Treat yo’self. Have an extra cup of coffee and a cookie too! Just enough to be a treat without feeling guilty. It’s Monday and thank goodness not everyday is Monday. It’s usually during this coffee and cookie breaks that I take some time to write out my to-do list.
• A to-do list is essential! Monday to-do lists must never take themselves too seriously. Ideally they’re speckled with easy tasks like “make and drink coffee, twice” as well as unexpected tasks like “walk the long way to lunch”. All of the hardline stuff about emails, deadlines, and commitments will fill in the rest of the madness, but take it easy on yourself. Take it eeeaaasssyyyy.
• Go for a walk. Seriously. Do the dang thing! Maybe that means taking the long way to lunch, a quick jaunt around the block on a bathroom break, a step away from the keyboard and the endless tasks to change up the air we breathe. It really does lead to a change in brain space.
• When in doubt, watch people whale for a minute or two. It’s oddly entertaining.
• Decide that you have the time to do something distinctly un-Monday. Bust out the stationary and write a quick letter to your grandmother, to your best friend, or to your mama. Something about Mondays make us feel like we don’t have time for these small and loving moments. It just takes a few minutes and it’s distinctly un-Monday.
• Listen to a thoughtful podcast or a new playlist! I love Snap Judgement’s The End of the Line. This playlist will be blasting in my kitchen this Monday morning. Real!
• Subtract the Internet when the Internet is too much. Maybe it’s seeing everyone on Instagram in Mexico, on a road trip, or eating all of the things. When the Monday Internet makes me feel the least bit bummed, jealous, or otherwise not awesome…. I’M OUT! Check right on out. Mondays are hard enough without having to see everyone you know/don’t know on Instagram enjoying Tulum. Peace.Out!
• Make an evening plan. Last minute happy hour date! On the fly dinner out! Pink wine! Call a friend! Popcorn on the couch! Plans large or small… an after work situation is a lovely carrot to dangle in front of your face.
• When all else fails, have a doughnut and scream into a pillow until Monday subsides. Fairly effective though a touch melodramatic.
Remember, tomorrow is Tuesday and what a blessing that is! Go easy and be kind to yourself. Have a great week! Tomorrow we’re making doughnuts and that’s really good news.
Ellen @ Indigo Scones
Yas queen, I started my day with 2 apple cider doughnuts. A reminder of the lovely apple orchard Sunday I had the day before <3
Life feels hard right now. I’m incredibly lucky and blessed, but feel the walls inching towards me. Thanks for a bright spot and breath of fresh air. Perspective can be hard to come by sometimes.
That PLAYLIST! I’m listening now, on repeat.
Mandy J Pants
Awesome advice Joy! The only thing guaranteed to make me grin faster than watching people whaling however is the Human Bicycle. I don’t know why this is so funny but I get the giggles every time! Best antidote to a miserable day, too.
Thank you for posting this, both the content and the diction were what I needed to read after a long Monday. Even though it is already March (insert where did the time go thought, because seriously, where did it go?), and you wrote this in August it is as soothing as soup when your sick.
Sweet Tea Sweetie
Good ideas! Going for a walk now!
This is so great, Joy! You always have the best advice and all of this tips will make me appreciate Mondays from now on…or at least as much as I can, it is Monday after all!
Great post. I am 100% a believer of the look good and feel good mentality. You aren’t going to feel your best if you don’t look your best too. I always have better days when I dress the part at work.
“When all else fails, have a doughnut and scream into a pillow until Monday subsides. Fairly effective though a touch melodramatic.”
I love this!