- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- big pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, and walnuts.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. This might feel weird but just throw it in and stir.
- Add the butter and use a spoon to work the butter into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to mix the dough until it’s a coarse meal with lots of nut bits.
- Press heaping tablespoons of dough into walnut-sized balls and place an inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes. The cookies won’t brown very much but will appear to be dry on the outside and will feel fairly firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing in powdered sugar bowl to coat. Coat generously in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.