I become a super nester in the days before I leave for a long stint of travel. Suddenly my house is stocked unflinchingly with toilet paper, there’s no sign of running out of paper towels, there’s cat food for months, and all of the sheets are clean and laundry is away… man, it looks like I run a tight ship. I don’t run a tight ship. It’s a miracle that I run a ship at all. It’s just that… I can’t come home to a house all flummoxed. Airports are hard enough.
If you’re keen to follow along with my summer travels, find me on Instagram and joythebaker on Snapchat.
I hope you’re well into some summer weekend vibes with pancakes and iced coffee. And I hope you have some saucy travel in your near future.
Here’s some of what we need to know:
• This is a really interesting weekend read and school closures are in the news a lot this week: Choosing a school for my daughter in a segregated city. Also, take a listen to the latest Embedded podcast: The School.
• What if my clients got the same treatment as Brock Turner? Thoughts from a public defender. Perspective.
• How race and privilege affect sentencing. Yea, I’m pressing our buttons because they need to be pressed.
• How an innocent teenager confessed to murder. “Think about it,… I’m convinced that you’re guilty, so everything that you say, everything you do, is going to be perceived through that guilt-presumptive lens. Think about the way the interrogation process is structured––I’ve already determined the truth before I go in there, so what I’m trying to do is verify the way I perceive things to be, to what I think the truth is.”
• Microsoft finds cancer clues in search queries. I recently Googled ‘numb chin’ and it sounds like I’m a goner. I’ll be expecting a call from a physician and Microsoft shortly.
Unless you’re Oprah, be yourself is terrible advice. This is really interesting. Authenticity aside, let’s just try sincerity instead.
• Other Female Firsts Covered Like Hillary’s Historic Nomination. My favorite is the quote about Sally Ride, “Is space ready for women?”. Hardly.
• How did FreakShakes become a thing and you didn’t tell me about it? Here goes nothin’.
• I Quit Showering And Life Continued. But where will I do all my deep thinking?
• I feel like I should get another cat just so I can name her Olivia Pope. I mean… right? No link. I’m just binge watching Season 5.
• I’m using this recipe from Food&Wine and KitchenAid to cure egg yolks. It takes three days. I’m expecting MAGIC.
• Your romantic first date? Restaurants hate them. And they see you swiping through Tinder when your date goes to the restroom. You guys… this is really bad.
• This handbag is made out of sticks. So. There’s that.
• I’m reading two things: the latest issue of Cherry Bombe magazine and (I know I’ve mentioned this before), The Queen of the Night (which really is so so good and I’m still reading it because it’s so good that I’m reading it slowly).
• Ellovi makes my favorite body lotion, all natural, super hydrating and it smells like being on vacation.
Have a wonderful day. Get some sun on those shoulders.