Here’s what’s on my mind and in my Internet this week.
• Are you registered to vote? You have until the middle of October to register (exact dates vary by state). Here’s the thing… you should vote. You really should vote. Not long back in our history as a country only a few of us could vote and if you weren’t a white dude… you didn’t get a say in who led our country and what happened here. We can vote now, no matter the color of our skin or the genitalia in our pants. That’s a big deal. You also might be thinking… ooh I don’t have a (insert state name here) driver’s license, I think there’s paperwork involved and I hate paperwork. Get over all that. See what it takes to register to vote here: VOTE.GOV. And if you’re thinking… oooh my vote doesn’t count… oooh my husband will vote for us… oooh I just don’t have the time. Get outta here. This shit is important. Do your duty.
• Silver linings. This is a tough and touching silver lining: As Drug Deaths Sore, a Silver Lining For Transplant Patients.
• Terry Gross of Fresh Air conducts my very favorite interviews. Listen to this interview with Bruce Springsteen. It’s full of truth and vulnerability.
• Ok can I tell you another thing I’ve listened to this week? My Favorite Murder which is dark and gnarly and speaks to my inside soul that is obsessed with Forensic Files and other such real-life scary things. The more you inform yourself / worry about something… the less likely it is that that thing happens to you, right? Murder included. SCIENTIFIC FACTS.
• To watch this weekend: The Central Park Five. If you don’t know, get to knowin’.
• Why do some people never evacuate from a hurricane? I dunno. I’m always looking for an excuse to get out of town and giant, crazy, mean wind got me like… BYEEEE. For real though… some people are stubborn and some people just can’t.
• If you have an iPhone and recently updated to the new iOS 10, you may have noticed there are legit laser beams in the text messages now. I mean… what did we even do with these silly phones before the lasers and fireworks? 10 cool things to try on the new iOS10.
• Speaking of iPhones: train your phone never to duck you over again.
• Other very good things we should sign up for and read for procrastination and information: 12 Best Email Newsletters.
• I’m just looking for someone to love me enough to make me a Chicken Salad Sandwich. Is that too much to ask? (So far, yes.)
• Maybe you didn’t know you needed this beautiful Wild Cherry Pot Strainer until now. But you do because rooting around for / cleaning a colander is for the birds (not literally… figure of speech). Seriously though.
• If you know me, you know that I’m always (likely to your dismay) wearing a pair of Dansko shoes… it’s just because they’re great and comfortable and I love them… which are all pretty great reasons to wear a shoe. These Dansko booties are in my Fall rotation.
• Sometimes we have things to say that need to be said on a board. Right? We don’t need this / We really need this.
• What are you going to be for Halloween? SIA obviously.
• When Rhianna TELLS IT: Love on the Brain.
• The gift that keeps on giving (butter): Churncraft
Happy Sunday. Let’s be better than decent humans.