Hello my friends!
This week in the life of Joy the Baker:
I learned that homemade eggnog is essentially chilled ice cream base with rum and nutmeg and if someone would have told me that unchurned ice cream was acceptable to drink a long time ago, I’d be in a heap of trouble.
Homemade eggnog recipe coming up soon.
I traveled up to New York again to teach a quick cooking class which has me brainstorming all the way I want to real-life gather with you in 2017. I’m thinking classes and workshops and really so much brunch.
I’ll be in Washington DC for a few moments early next week and if you know of a place I should have dinner in the city I would love to hear it.
It’s Sunday and I hope you are well and comfortable. Here’s some life this week:
• This Oakland tragedy is on my heart most prominently.
• These are the strong words of the week. “Now is the time to counter lies with facts, repeatedly and unflaggingly, while also proclaiming the greater truths: of our equal humanity, of decency, of compassion. Every precious ideal must be reiterated, every obvious argument made, because an ugly idea left unchallenged begins to turn the color of normal.” Now is the time to talk about what we’re actually talking about.
• We are constantly pivoting in the world we’ve created for ourselves. The Attorney Fighting Revenge Porn
• In some ways we’ve tossed the concept of ‘home’ up in the air like confetti and it’s liberating and exciting, but as the pieces fall to the floor, we want to reorganize them in a way that feels familiar to us. I think we can do it. Nobody is Home. ”
• In my daydreams I wander around crisp Autumn Notting Hill, honestly one of my real-life highlights of my 2016. Here’s my friend Jessica’s Notting Hill Neighborhood Guide.
• David Blaine totally freaks out Drake with small frogs. That’s a totally normal sentence to type. Follow up: this might be even more crazy.
• Currently reading: The Liars Club by Mary Karr
• The New York Times list of The 10 Best Books of 2016, which, if you scroll through… is really a list of the way we are in the world right now.
• I’m fussing around with making my own Embroidery Necklaces as gifts for Christmas.
• You had me at Sugar Buns.
• The dark (though delicious) history of gingerbread men. And here’s a vegan version of gingerbread men for holiday inspiration.
• Man Who Baked Banana Bread Spends Entire Party Anxiously Watching It Go Uneaten. We’ve all been there, buddy.
• Why are we the worst? (Actual question)
• This week I donated to the Skid Row Housing Trust in Los Angeles. Think about it.
We’re in this together.