Hello sweet friends!
I’m back in New Orleans after a few of the most fantastic summer days in Detroit, Michigan. I stayed long enough to know that I need to return soon for more food and friendship adventures. It’s a sincere, gritty, distinctly American town and I loved being there. Also, there are a strong group of food ladies on the hard hustle out in Detroit… it’s super inspiring. I’ll put up a short post about what I enjoyed in town, knowing that I need to visit again and again.
I hope your summer adventuring is sweet and fulfilling. I compiled this list of links for you because the world is just as beautiful and baffling as ever:
• I’m going to leave this remarkable human story right here for you: Kristin Beck: A Navy SEAL in Transition
• When a man really wants a giant wall.
• The real problem here is medium-sized boats: If You Give A Poor A Doctor.
• Thank goodness for the omelet guy: My Week on a Weight Loss Cruise.
• Vastly different from the mountains of food on a cruise ship: Here’s What It’s Like to Live in the Woods, Off the Grid.
• She’s really a force of a woman. I enjoyed reading this: Angelina Jolie Solo.
• Could you just be ever so slightly less tedious? The Reason Your Creative Type Has Broken Up With You
• For us murderinos: What I Know About My Best Friend’s Murder.
• This cake looks like the cake I want to stand by the fridge and eat in slivers: One Bowl Chocolate Sheet Cake with Simple Fudge-y Frosting!
• One of Deb’s very good ideas: Breakfast Slab Pie!
• Stop Being a Snob and Use Onion Powder. Chill on the name calling and ok.. yea. I feel the same way about garlic powder and Lawry’s Seasoning Salt.
• I’m watching the second season of Last Chance U on Netflix. It’s a show with a lot of heart but I’m torn because I ultimately feel like these dudes need to stop hitting each other so hard and protect their brains.
• Amen amen amen: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie.
I hope it’s a really great day! Enjoy it all.
The Queen Of Dreaming
Great post, as every week ;)
susan from detroit
Nice to meet you at the book signing Joy. I hope you got to experience the real vibe, grit and honesty of the city. Thanks for adding a bright spot to a difficult day for me (recently deceased mother’s birthday).
Do you not feel weird writing these two items after each other? Murder as entertainment followed by cake?
For us murderinos: What I Know About My Best Friend’s Murder.
• This cake looks like the cake I want to stand by the fridge and eat in sliver
No, I don’t. But thank you for checking in.
Loved the Angie article, but did anyone else get the Quick-Quotes Quill vibe?
“There IS NOT anger and pain right there beneath the surface!”
So glad you enjoyed Detroit! Hope to catch you next time you visit!!
Ugh I can’t believe I forgot about your Detroit trip! I hope you come back and I can’t wait to see what you thought of the city! And I LOVE that museum! <3
I hope that your trip was fun…Yes on the slab pie..please just a little bit of meat…But i do love the recipe!!!!
I hope Megan took you to Sister Pie…and I am thrilled you two got to spend time together!!! I miss my girl and all our baking adventures ??
I don’t live in the US, but reading about health care there still makes me anxious. Medium-sized boats sound like an awful way to live.
My partner and I are obsessed with Last Chance U! I feel you on worrying about their injuries though.
Rebecca | Let's Eat Cake
Can’t wait for your post! I’m from there and going back in a few months!
Taste of France
Onions and garlic are two of nature’s great gifts and life’s great pleasures. Accept no substitutes!
I hope you got a chance to visit Sister Pie!
I didn’t know you were going to be in Detroit! How did I miss that? Would love to have met you. Yes, lots to do here and good food. Would like to hear about your trip
I just read “What I know about my best friend’s murder” and now I have a lot of stuff to think about…
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena