I’ll tell ya what? New Orleans is seeing some slightly warmer days this weekend, it’s the start of Mardi Gras, I’ve just popped a King Cake in the oven, and I’ve already decided which cocktail I’m going to enjoy when I head to dinner tonight. We’re rolling into this year with a city-wide, month long party and I’ve got my glue guns and glitter ready to go costume. What did I do before I lived in New Orleans? I have no idea…
I hope this days finds you well and warm. Free of fire and fury- just settling into this Sunday.
Here are our links for reading this week:
• Some inspiration to be stronger and more kind than we even think possible for ourselves. Two boys carjacked an 80-year-old Baltimore City Councilwoman. Now she’s there advocate.
• An unexpected love story thank goodness.
• Look around, we’re SUPER not ok. The Year Climate Change Began To Spin Out Of Control
• There’s a reason using a period in a text message makes you sound angry. If someone sends me this text message “Ok.” we’re very obviously in a fight and there’s a problem.
• The opposite of toxic masculinity ruining the party again: Examples of Toxic Femininity In The Workplace.
• Maybe She’s Born With It… Maybe It Something Else. For me it’s: oreo cookies, yoga, and gin.
• A history of breaking rules, now with coffee: The Lady Falcon Coffee Club.
• I love these weekly food diaries and this one in particular is pleasingly real: Deb Perelman’s Grub Street Diet.
• A very important list of the The 50 Best Podcasts of 2017 because I feel like I’ve listened to just about everything. I’m going to start with This Is Actually Happening.
• I’ll tell you what, being cold is not relative. Being cold is being cold, whether you live in New Orleans or Portland Maine. I think we’ve all been cold and in need of comfort this week. I’ve been on a double sock + slipper kick that’s keeping me safe from my drafty floors. I’ve also roasted every vegetable in my house. See: Roasted Vegetable Winter Crumble.
• Currently listening to this on audiobook: Jodi Picoult’s Small Great Things.
• For some reason, as much as I travel, I always have a hard time figuring out how to consolidate my face wash into a travel size to take with me. Problem solved: Papaya Enzyme Powder Facial Cleanser.
• Listen… we just NEED cake right now. It’s non-negotiable: Chocolate Orange and Nutmeg Cake.
Take good care today, and have some dang cake.
I feel like I MUST know what restaurant that breakfast picture was taken at! :)
It’s a Paloma Cafe in the Bywater New Orleans
Did you listen to the Alone: A Love Story podcast? It was painful and beautiful and just so good. Glad it was on the list. I am also deeply lost in Waking Up by Sam Harris… I think you would enjoy Sam Harris.
My favorite new-to-me podcast this year is Pantsuit Politics. Sarah from the left and Beth from the right discuss the week’s big political news with nuance!
Clever! I see your “Free of fire and fury” reference and agree – no one needs to read Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. Too frustrating and incomprehensible… I love your site – thanks for consistently adding new content.
We spent about a month in NOLA (mid nov- and mid dec) and having spent most of my life up north – I never really appreciatted how COLD it feels down there in the winter. The homes (especially those old wooden floors) are SO drafty. I’ve never loved my slippers more nor have I been more excited to get up to Philly for a quick weekend trip so i could enjoy insulated houses!
Stay warm down there!
Thank you for understanding!!! It really is in-your-bones cold.
Ugh. That Newyorker humor article. I get what it’s trying to say but I think it backfires a bit.