Hello dear friends!
Welcome to this fine day – I hope you’re well!
This week I had a sweet visit from my friend Ashley Rodriguez from Not Without Salt. She came to New Orleans to promote her latest book Let’s Stay In, and really just cook a bunch of food at The Bakehouse. Sometimes we get to make our own dreams come true, and this week was one of those weeks. Ashley has the most effortless way of cooking and feeding people that being in the kitchen with her feels like gliding on air. It’s really lovely.
It’s always inspiring to have a friend come to town. It helps me see this beautiful city with fresher eyes. I’m feeling energetic and inspired these days and trying the channel that energy well, without too much pressure. That’s what’s on my mind.
I hope you’re feeling steady and energized. Here’s the offering today:
(Also a note: I’m currently working on updating the site so this may look a bit different to you and I thank you for your patience as this update unfolds.)
• We’re all troubled, but is there hope in it? Estranged in America: Both Sides Feel Lost and Left Out. (New York Times)
• Hurricane Michael Leaves Deadly Trail Through The Southeast. (NPR)
• Every week I have a long-read article (at least one) open in my browser and I read through it as the week unfolds. This week, a love story: The Love Story That Upended the Texas Prison System, to be exact. (Texas Monthly)
• Oh dear (which is a huge understatement): Heat and Humidity Are a Killer Combination. (New York Times)
• Ok but like why are there literally so many things to worry about? The banana is dying. The race is on to reinvent it before it’s too late. (Wired)
• The very obvious secret to productivity that will rock our very souls. (The Guardian)
• Salt Fat Acid Heat is the best food show on Netflix. (Eater)
• What are we making this week? I plan on adding a generous amount of butter toasted pecans to these Brown Sugar Cookies. (Joy the Baker)
• I’ve yet to see the movie A Star Is Born but I’ve already cried to the soundtrack because LADY GAGA serves us all the feels and talent. We don’t deserve her, but my word don’t we need her. (YouTube and Spotify)
• RELATED: Appropriate moments to respond with Lady Gaga’s gutteral howl from the song ‘Shallow’. (McSweeneys) See: Shallow (Spotify)
• I feel deeply seen and understood: The long, long history of long, long CVS receipts. (Vox)
• Inside an afternoon at The Bakehouse: 5 Things I Learned From Joy the Baker. (Fed and Bougie)
• This is one of my favorite yoga tops for the colder months. (Athleta)
• I’m putting this jumpsuit upon my wishlist, my list of wishes. (Reformation)
I’m so glad you’re here! Enjoy today!
photo above by Trevor Mark Photography
Ooooh that movie, Lady GaGa is the litteral definition of poliedrich artist!
Hiiii! I’m so glad you linked to Fed and Bougie. I loved reading Brittany’s wrap-up of attending one of your workshops at The Bakehouse. Consider this your warning that I may steal her idea and write a (glowing) wrap-up about The Bakeaway. Byeeee! xoxo
Hurricane Michael is a rough one. We’re still seeing the impacts of of last year’s hurricanes throughout the Caribbean as though they hit last week . If anyone is looking for a way to help the people affected by any of these events, the organization I work for and advocate for with all my heart, All Hands and Hearts, is responding to Hurricanes Michael and Florence and doing recovery work for other natural disasters around the world. We respond to events by rebuilding homes and schools where there is the most need. We’re always taking volunteers and donations, if you feel compelled to be involved in any way!
I always love these posts! (and tbh, I thought the secret to productivity would be putting your phone away)
Carissa Nelson | Spoonful of Easy
Great post! I’m looking forward to Brown Sugar Cookies and so agree with you on so much to worry about Although a few years ago the media was all over the fact that chocolate and coffee would be all but extinct and/or prices would skyrocket beyond all belief. Funny how no one goes back to call people out on the stuff that doesn’t happen! On a brighter note, I have the Salt Fat Acid Heat cookbook, but didn’t know it was on Netflix as well. Great tip!
Thank you again for another “Let It Be Sunday” I so enjoy these and really appreciate what I learn from the articles that you share. I thought I was a big reader, but you must be a TREMENDOUS reader to catch all of these so varied topics. So, thanks for doing the footwork for us! It’s my 65th Birthday today! Want to let you know that you make every Sunday start in a special way, but you were the beginning of my celebrations today! Feel honored- HAHAHAHA I get such a kick out of your writing. I relate to your NO side, but also the LA side (I lived in the Village Green for 20 years) And I WILL be visiting your workshop SOON!. Take Super Care, Dear Joy. Love your spirit. Keep on keeping on!
Taste of France
You always share something I never would have found otherwise. Thank you! Today, it’s the productivity article, which is just the kick I needed.
I wrote this week about how single-payer health care actually works in France, since so many people I’ve spoken to back in the U.S. have mistaken ideas. I can’t stress enough how wonderful a system it is.
You always make my day!
I am a longtime reader of your site and love your pistachio chocolate chip cookies. Just wondering about how one would go to the washroom in that stunning jumpsuit? ‘Cause I see the zipper at the back, but it is attached at the front. I know that this not the most pressing question in the world, but it is Sunday morning so I have some extra time to think ;)
You know, though, that’s a perfectly valid point. Because while that jumpsuit is tres chic, it also appears to require undoing the bottom zipper and the top buttons or hook & eye closures (I didn’t look closely enough to tell which) in order to remove the entire thing to pee. I guess the answer is dehydration? Fashion is often sacrifice! :-D
Interesting CVS receipt story. Too bad they don’t also mention that all heat receipts printed on the heat-sensitive paper are not recyclable!
Rachel @ Rachel, Striving
I love the new updates to the site so far! Happy Sunday.
Noticed the changes. So glad that you updated your photo. You look marvelous!!!
That jumpsuit is BEYOND!!
Rebecca | http://www.peppermintdolly.com
Thank you for this! I love your Sunday posts!
Me too! I always look forward to them!