Hello dear friends!
How are we? It’s been a full week. Has it just been a week? I feel like we’ve carried enough for at least a few. This week I went to Memphis for the Saveur Blog Awards, for the ribs, for the MLK National Civil Rights Museum. My flight back to New Orleans got wonky so I rented a car and drove myself back home from Memphis. I like to keep it moving, and everything about this week called for a good long car-think while driving.
I hope you’re staying steady this week. I hope you find some time to restore your heart this weekend. Here’s the offering this week. Stay in it:
• “We live in a country where there are relatively few restrictions on gun ownership and where our cultural tolerance for mass murder appears to be infinite.” From Roxanne Gay: Thousand Oaks and Our Peculiarly American Affliction. (NYT)
• Listened to: This American Life on school shootings Before The Next One.
• In California there are fires – so many fires. (The Atlantic)
• 112: the number of women in Congress, the largest number in history. (Vox)
• Semantics, but really America’s Problem Isn’t Tribalism – It’s Racism. (The Atlantic)
• “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
Martin Luther King Jr, Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, Oslo, Norway, 1964.
• How A Woman Becomes A Lake, quiet and still and PLEASE. (The New Yorker)
• This is beautiful: Late Life Love (Guernica)
• I’m here for this content: Meredith and Derek’s Relationship of Grey’s Anatomy Wouldn’t Happen In 2018… but what about a world where Denny lives, ya know? (Glamour)
• I used to date one of these: Plantfluencers. (New York Times)
• I’m re-reading one of my favorite collections of short stories: This Is The Story of a Happy Marriage. The way Ann Patchett writes about writing is so honest and approachable and deeply profound and also, just plain helpful.
• It. Is. Time. Dad’s Perfect Sweet Potato Pie. (Joy the Baker)
• We have two great events happening at The Bakehouse next weekend! 1. Brunch with Benefits – a celebration of the book Wine Food! 2. Make and Take Pie – a pie baking class that has you all set up for the Thanksgiving holiday!
• I absolutely love the new Hedley & Bennett Smock Aprons! (H&B)
• I found something we need: guide dogs to the blind in Midtown Manhattan. It’s hard enough for a seeing person to navigate this space DANG! (New York Times)
• Are you listening to the third season of Serial? It’s on my list this week! Maybe yours too?
I’m thankful you’re here! Enjoy your day!
My love to you.