Hello my friends!
Thank you for all of the kind words last week. Surgery recover is a wild ride and I’m still learning lessons of ease and asking for help.
We’re barreling towards the holidays and this time of year (and maybe my slower pace) has me feeling reflective of the past year. Bearing witness to the different ways that ambition took shape, to the exciting and unexpected moments of the year, to the growth, and the places where I might still feel a little stuck. In all the reflection, I’m trying to be easy. Trying.
I teach my first big-time yoga class this morning. I’m nervous but the good news is, I can be nervous about a thing and still do it at the same time. Wow, what multi-tasking.
I hope this finds you well, reflective, and easy. If not those things – I hope this finds you NOT at the mall.
Oh – the cookies above are a holiday CLASSIC. You may think your mom invented them but I’m here to tell you that SORRY, my mom did by finding them here. We call them Love Cookies in our happy home, but you might know them as Peanut Blossoms. (ps. I use butter, no lie.)
The offering this week is here. As always, take what you want, take what you need:
• An education on education and why it’s so deeply important to understand our past: How to Teach the Civil War in the Deep South. (The Atlantic)
• Let’s reflect: The Unsettling Psychology of an Amazon Prime Addiction. (Mel Magazine via Ann Friedman)
• Could you live a life as a perfect consumer? I used all the best stuff for a week and it nearly broke me. You know… because sh*t happens. (Vox)
• Shame ‘creates imaginary worlds inside your head’ and those are some true ass words: I’m Broke and Mostly Friendless and I’ve Wasted My Whole Life (The Cut)
• New to us podcast alert: You’re Wrong About…(Thank you for the suggestion Nicole!) (iTunes)
• If you’ll allow it because WOW this is strangely poignant: Babes in Pump Land (yes, we’re talking Vanderpump). (Vogue)
• My friends started this high-vibe natural product line and I am very smitten: Wildland Organics. (Wildland)
• Been time: It’s Time to Stop Calling Foods ‘Crack’. (Grub Street)
• I’m in the candy making mood and these are a) incredibly easy and b) VERY delicious freshly made and still warm: Classic Southern Pralines (The Kitchn)
• This is not a drill: the sheet pan sugar cookie (Food52)
• A very intricate but very rewarding cup of hot chocolate. Invite some friends over and share it in big batches and play board games – that feels right. Coconut Curry Hot Chocolate (Joy the Baker)
• On my cookbook wish list as I move into the new year post-surgery: One Part Plant. (Indie Bound)
• If you missed last week: Let It Be Sunday, 200! (Joy the Baker)
Enjoy this Sunday!
My love to you,