Welcome to another fine Sunday!
I’ve been thinking this week about a few things – mostly cults and pies. I started the week by listening to a podcast about a recent cult (that podcast linked below), and it really got me thinking about if I have the sort of brain that could every fall into a cult… or the sort of brain that was already unknowingly in a cult. I’m not in a cult. I did a quick mental check – free and clear.
I’ve also been heavily daydreaming about rhubarb pie in several iterations and plan on making one (if not five) as soon as I return from this quick trip to Boston.
Oh hey, I’m in Boston. I’m teaching a strawberry pie (sadly no rhubarb) class today and speaking on a panel about storytelling on Instagram on Monday. What is life? Pie and instagram apparently.
I hope this week finds you steady and well. I hope you take part of today to rest and another part of today to pep talk yourself into next week. We’ve got this.
The offering this week is below. As always, take only what you need (and we all need Lizzo):
• This week I listened to this podcast about the NXIVM cult: CBC Podcast Uncover Season 1. Without judgement, it’s wild how cults can happen upon you. And here’s an update from The Cut.
• Exhibit B as evidence for the fact that it’s a wild world with humans making the rules: My Childhood in a Cult (The New Yorker)
• Stay sharp, friends. Again, WILD. The Stolen Kids of Sarah Lawrence (The Cut)
• This week’s long read from Texas Monthly is not optional. I think we should all take in this needlessly tragic story, please: Faith, Friendship and Tragedy at Santa Fe High.
• Here’s a really lovely piece about how the things we collect tell the story of our lives. A case for stuff and story. The magic of estate sales. (Curbed)
• Everywhere a runway: Does This Dress Make Me Look Guilty? (New York Times)
• Here’s the vibe: LIZZO Truth Hurts (Spotify)
• Remember plastic bags? (Well… we still have them going strong in Louisiana, I’m sorry). Remember coffee cups? Will coffee cups be taxed out of our hands? I wouldn’t mind. (Bloomberg)
• Hey maybe you need this, maybe you don’t: How Do I Keep Things Sexy In A Long Distance Relationship? (The Cut)
• I love lists like this, especially on a Sunday: 7 Things To Declutter Before Spring Turns To Summer (The Kitchn)
• I’m very excited to cook from Stacy Adimando’s book Piatti this coming week. The book is filled with generous platters of Italian food for sharing. Everything we could want, right? (Amazon)
• I’m hosting a giveaway on Instagram this weekend with Delicacies Jewelry – you should totally pop over and enter. If you don’t win, you can use the code: joythebaker for 20% off your order through Mother’s Day! (Delicacies Jewelry)
• Do you have Mother’s Day brunch plans? This Creme Fraiche Quiche from literally ten years ago is a solid choice. (Joy the Baker)
Enjoy this day!
iIf you haven’t already, check out the fiction novel you too can have a body like mine by alexandra kleeman. lovely, crazy cult read with dark humor energy. easily one of my favorite books!